Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Panasonic TH-50PX80U Great TV!

Just bought this tv over the weekend. The picture is great, the colors are vibrant and clear and the sound is wonderful!

This is a 720p tv, so it isn't as clear as the higher-end 1080p units. I can see the pixelation when I'm about 4' from the tv, but farther than that, it fades away.

Standard definition cable tv is definitely serviceable. The colors are nice, balance, etc., but as expected a little blurry (from content). Definitely not going to keep me from watching standard def programs I like, but noticeably not as sharp (not the tv's fault, I suppose).

The exterior is understated with a glossy black frame (approximately 2" wide) around the screen. A foldaway cover hides front HDMI, component and SD card inputs, and there are two HDMI, svideo, component inputs (plus more I can't recall) in the back. The speakers are located below the screen. Setting the surround mode to on really fills the room with sound.

The viewing angle is quite wide. I can clearly see the picture well beyond the 45 degree angle.

The menu is easy to use, and the remote is intuitive. The resulting mix is a relatively straightforward adjustments to picture, sound, screen fill, channel preferences, etc.

Seeing pictures from the SD card was one of the unexpected joys I've had in trying this set out. My 5 MP pictures popped out of the screen with clarity and true color that I didn't expect.

A couple of caveats:

1) The channel lag could be a little annoying-- the screen goes to black for a little less than 0.5 seconds when changing the channel. THis doesn't concern me since I'm using a cable box.

2) This set is not 1080p. According to my research, TV's less than 50" do not benefit all that much from 1080p, due to the how many pixels you can cram into a limited space. Truthfully, I wasn't really in the market for a 1080p so I didn't really do a strict comparison.

3) with the bass boost on, sound on some commercials gets a little distorted. Since this only happens during those certain commercials, it must have something to do with the original content.

4) this is the first HDTV I've purchased, so I don't have much to compare it to. DVD's and HD cable have looked great on this set, but I haven't had a chance to test out Blu-ray on it. Also haven't had a chance to test out video games either.

Can't wait to see my Seattle Mariners play on the beautiful green grass of Safeco field on this TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment