Friday, October 30, 2009

Panasonic TH-50PX80U Love it. Love it. Love it.

How do I feel about my new Panasonic 50px80u? I know the title of this review leaves that a little ambiguous, so let me clarify... I love it. This is my first big screen (moving from an Aquos 32") and I researched the heck out of this thing before I pulled the trigger.

I looked at Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Pioneer, and Vizio before settling on Panasonic as the perfect blend of performance and price. I wanted to go 50" or above, and I needed to spend somewhere between $1,500 and $2,000. Normally, I do most of my electronics shopping at Costco because they have the best return policy and their prices are normally competitive with online stores such as Amazon. But unfortunately, Costco is still selling the 50px77u and hasn't begun to sell the 50px80u, and I wasn't about to wait for months to get the big screen.

After looking online and trying to get reviews (cnet has been excruciatingly slow with this model) and seeing it in person at Circuit City, I decided that I had seen enough positive reviews to make my decision. Finally, I went to Vanns and ordered it for $1,499.98 (Amazon's prices are like a yo-yo - $1420 one day, $1520 the next). A week later, it shows up at my house, and I put it together. YES!

So the picture looks great. The SD card slot in the front is convenient and pretty sweet. High def from Directv looks great and even standard def isn't bad. I popped in the complementary copy of 300 into my HD-DVD player and sat back transfixed by the picture. I'm not sure what more can be gained by 1080p because 720p looks absolutely fantastic and I see no pixelation whatsoever. I'd rather have a 720p set with accurate colors than some 1080p set with strange blues, greens, and reds, and this Panasonic set looks as true as can be.

In short, I'd definitely recommend the TH-50PX80U to anyone looking for a great picture at a reasonable price. You can pay more, but I doubt you'll get more. If you enjoy the prestige of hanging and paying for a Sony, then by all means, do it. But if you want a great set at a great price, look no further.

No comments:

Post a Comment