Saturday, October 10, 2009

Panasonic TH-50PX80U Happy. Happy. Happy

I've had this TV for a little over a week and it's been great. I replaced an HD CRT (Sony 36" XBR) and was nervous that I wouldn't see the same picture quality. I chose plasma over LCD b/c I believe it provides a better picture (not so harsh or sterile - more lifelike) and I haven't been disappointed. DVDs and HD content are stunning, and, surprisingly, the SD content I watch (from Dish Network) ain't too bad, either.

I decided to save money by going 720p instead of 1080p and, at least until I have a Blu-Ray player, I am 100% satisfied with that decision: the 720p looks just great over a wide variety of sources (Dish, DVD, OTA HD).

The anti-reflective coating works, at least for me in my family room, as promised. In fact, we have a white ottoman about 8 feet from the TV and I noticed I could see its reflection in the bezel *around* the TV (shiny black plastic) but not on the TV itself.

Availability on this TV from Amazon comes and goes - I made sure to buy from them and wasn't disappointed. The free delivery was professional and on-time and they took it out of the box, plugged it in, made sure it worked, and offered to take the box.

If you buy from Amazon, be sure to keep an eye out on the price for a full 30 days after you buy it. I got mine on 3/31/08 for $1496 and it has dropped in price twice since then (now $1436). Amazon promptly refunded me both times - the second time within *five* minutes of my request.

No comments:

Post a Comment